1. HETA is committed to equality of opportunity in employment. It will not knowingly unlawfully discriminate or permit its employees or learners to discriminate against any person on grounds which include:
- Colour, Creed, Race, National or Ethnic origin
- Age, Sex, Marital Status
- Disability, Sexual Orientation
Unlawful discrimination includes treating a person less favourably than others are treated or would be treated in the same or similar circumstances.
2. HETA will not permit:
a. Any job applicant, employee or learner to receive less favourable treatment than any other on any of the grounds set out in paragraph 1 of this policy.
b. Any job applicant, employee or learner to be placed at a disadvantage by requirements or conditions having a disproportionately adverse effect on him or her and which cannot be shown to be relevant to job requirements.
3. The only exception to this policy will be:
- Where the sex or race of a person is a genuine occupational qualification.
- Where the disability of a person prevents the function of the job being carried out.
However, HETA is aware of the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 and will comply fully with these including making assessments of the work premises to discover whether adjustments might be made to allow an otherwise suitable candidate who is disabled to be employed.
4. There will be equality of opportunity in the recruitment, training, development and promotion of staff and learners. If you have special responsibilities in this policy you will be trained accordingly.
5. The Directors have overall executive responsibility for ensuring that this policy is communicated and implemented.
6. All staff and learners must comply with the terms of this policy.
7. A Code of Practice detailing how this policy works in practice is kept with the Administrator. All employees having responsibility under the Policy must read this document. All other employees and learners may refer to it at any time.
HETA will take disciplinary action, including dismissal, against any employee or learner who is found to have contravened this policy. If any employee or learner considers that s/he is suffering from unfair treatment they may either make a complaint, which will be dealt with through the firm's Grievance Procedure, or raise the matter with any Director.
From designing cutting edge machinery to maintaining the latest medical equipment... engineering gives you the chance to make a difference and solve problems that are important to society.